Privacy Notice to Patients
We will keep your records safely
This practice complies with the Data Protection Act (1998) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)2018. This means that we will ensure that your information is processed fairly and lawfully.
What personal information do we need to hold?
- Your past and current medical and dental condition; personal details such as your age, address,telephone number and your general medical practitioner
- We may need to request details of your NHS number and entitlement to healthcare treatment
- We may also need to request details of your exemption status
- Radiographs, clinical photographs and study models
- Information about the treatment that we have provided or propose and its cost
- Notes of conversations or incidents that might occur for which a record needs to be kept
- Records of consent to treatment
- Any correspondence relating to you with other health care professionals, for example in the hospital orcommunity services.
Why do we hold this information?
We need to keep accurate personal data about patients in order to provide you with safe and appropriatedental care. We also need to process personal data about you if we are providing care under NHSarrangements and to ensure the proper management and administration of the NHS
We are required to retain your dental records, X- rays and study models while you are a patient of thispractice and after you cease to be a patient, for at least eleven years or until age 25, whichever is thelonger.
Your information is held in the practice’s computer system and/or in a secure manual filing system. Theinformation is only accessible to authorised personnel. Personal information will not be removed from thispractice without the patients authorised consent.
Your personal information is carefully protected by the staff at this practice. All access to information isheld securely and can only be accessed by regularly changed passwords. Data is encrypted and computerterminals are closed if unattended.
We may need to disclose your information
In order to provide proper and safe dental care to:
- Your general medical practitioner
- The hospital or community dental services
- Other health professionals caring for you
- NHS payment authorities
- The Inland Revenue
- The Benefits Agency, where you are claiming exemption or remission from NHS charges
- Private dental schemes of which you are a member
Disclosure will take place on a ‘need-to-know’ basis, so that only those individuals/organisations who needto know in order to provide care to you and for the proper administration of Government (whosepersonnel are covered by strict confidentiality rules) will be given the information. Only information thatthe recipient needs to know will be disclosed.
In very limited circumstances or when required by law or a court order, personal data may have to bedisclosed to a third party not connected with your health care. In all other situations, disclosure that isnot covered by this Code of Practice will only occur when we have your specific consent. Where possibleyou will be informed of these requests for disclosure.
Request Information Held
Please fill up this form if you want to know details of your information held by us, so they you can have it altered / removed if you require.